Old habits die hard

I came up on an article from the STAR dated 21/01/09, titled Cut out the old habit by Lynne McGready. I found it to be very interesting and wants to share it here. The most interesting is the constant use of "Thank you", "Attn" or "Attention", Consistency & "Ref"
1) "Thank you"
I respect the words "thank you" and use them regularly to thank anyone who has helped me or if I want to recognise the effort people have made. They are important words! But can someone please tell me why people need to end EVERY e-mail or letter to me with a "Thank you" at the end of the message?
What am I being thanked for? Are you thanking me for reading your message? Are you thanking me for writing to you? Or are you just using it because everyone you work with does this? Is it just a habit?
In my opinon, we are now using "thank you" so carelessly that it no longer carries the same impact or meaning that once did. Please be bold and stop using it unless you can explain why you need to do so!
2) "Attn" or "Attention"
I receive letters that are addressed to me personally...Lynne McGready. However, I also receive letters that read like this: "Attn. Lynne McGready". I don't understand the use of the word "Attention" in this situation. You have addressed the letter to me and yet there is this word "Attn" next to my name. (I perhaps would have preferred the full sentence, "For the attention of Ms Lynne McGready" to make me feel really important! Just kidding!)
To be honest, when I see the word, I feel lika I am back in boarding school and Sister Magdelene is standing over me in the study hall poking me in the back saying, "Pay attention, Lynne!" as I try to figure out why I need to prove to her that a triangle has three sides!
3) Consistency - UK vs American English
I am at war with Microsoft (or is it my laptop?). No matter how many times I select UK English, the software still insists on increasing y workload by drawling little curly lines under words like " programme", "colour", "organisation", etc. It refuses to accept that I do not want to spell the American way.
In fact, I probably would be INCONSISTENT in my spelling if I did allow Microsoft to take over.
Have you ever received a letter in which some words are spelt the American way and others British? This confuses me! I have to stop and think , which is not a good idea when I am tired, because there is the chance of me becoming paranoid.
For example, is this person trying to test my knowledge of the differences between American and UK English? Does the writer want me to correct the document? She knows I am a teacher so I guess she wants to test my reaction to the inconsistency. And on it goes!
Can we be consistent? Choose one way or the other - for the sake of the reader, please.
4) "Ref"
Do you ever receive letters that look like this?
Dear Sir/Madam
REF: Product information for your consideration
With reference to the above mentioned subject...
Is there any need for the abbreviation "Ref" and then again "With reference"? I say, "NO." I will leave the words "abovementioned" for another time.. when my nervous system has recovered from typing these words.
Finally, as we go into the year 2009, let's be bold and brave. Let's put our personality into our writing. Let's start by just putting some feeling into our writing, being considerate of our reader's time by using simple words instead of cliches our great-grand parents used. Using long-winded expressions does not mean you are being more polite; you end up just being old-fashioned in a modern world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bahasa Melano Balingian

oooo En Haris......Izzah............Ombak Rindu

Thoughts and rambles